Low Carb Southern Chess Pie (Transparent Pie)
1 cup almond meal
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup butter-softened
1 Tablespoon coconut (unsweetened, dehydrated)
2 Tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
1) Add ingredients into bowl and mix until butter/oil combined with dry ingredients.
2) Pour mixture into pie dish and cover with parchment paper or wax paper to mold into bottom of pan to form bottom crust. Poke crust on bottom and sides with fork.
3) Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
4) Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
4 separated eggs (place whites in one bowl and yolks in separate bowl)
1 Tablespoon coconut flour
1 cup erythritol granules (or Swerve which is erythritol and inulin)
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup butter
1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream or half and half
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 Tablespoon flax seed meal
⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
1) Cream sweetener, egg yolks, coconut flour, vanilla, butter, flax seed flour, whipping cream, and vinegar in mixing bowl until smooth.
2) In separate bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar with hand mixer on high until stiff (about 3 minutes).
3) Fold beaten egg whites into creamed yolk mixture.
4) Pour combined mixture into cooled pie shell and level out evenly in pie dish. Cover edges of crust with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
5) Bake at 325-50 degrees for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and inserted knife in middle of pie comes out clean.
5) Allow to cool completely.
Serving suggestion: Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and hot tea or coffee.
Approximate Nutritional information (one of 8 servings):
Calories= 302, Fat= 31.5 grams, Protein= 3.2 grams, Net carbs= 3.8 grams