Tarte Tartin with Chayote Squash(instead of Apples)
3 medium chayote squash
½ cup erythritol
½ cup xylitol
2 Tablespoons Torani sugar-free syrup, Speculoos flavor
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
½ stick of butter
1.Rinse and peel chayote squash. Cut each into 8 pieces (lengthwise).
2.Melt ½ stick of butter in frying pan over medium heat.
3.Add remaining ingredients (except for the chayote squash) of the filling to melted butter and stir.
4.Add slices of chayote squash layered nicely in frying pan over the butter mixture.
5.Spoon melted butter mixture over the chayote until covered. Repeat every few minutes.
6.Cook squash until brown and beginning to soften. (They will need to cook a little longer than apples would).
7.Remove from heat and place chayote mixture into a deep dish pie tin or baking dish. Set aside for now.
1 cup almond meal (blanched type appears off-white,
unblanched contains some skins and will be brown)
¼ cup chickpea flour
1 Tablespoon coconut flour
½ stick butter
¼ cup coconut oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
1. Cut ½ stick of butter into small cubes and place in large mixing bowl. Add coconut oil into same mixing bowl.
2. Add almond meal, chickpea flour, coconut flour, and sea salt to mixing bowl and “cut” dry ingredients into butter/coconut oil with a pastry or with your fingers.
3. Once mixture appears crumbly, add the egg (beaten) and work egg into mixture. Roll into a ball.
4. Place dough ball onto parchment paper or waxed paper about the size of a cookie sheet. Flatten with your hand and cover the top of the dough with another parchment sheet or waxed paper.
5. Roll out with roller to about 1/8 -1/4 inches in thickness.
6. Remove the top piece of waxed paper and carefully turn over, placing the crust on top of the chayote mixture. Trim excess crust off.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
8. Turn down heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until crust is light brown.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
10. Place another same sized baking dish over top of the baked tart. Carefully flip over the joined dishes and remove the top dish. The crust will now be on the bottom of the second pan with the caramelized chayote now on top.
11. Allow to cool and slice into 16 slices.
12. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream. YUM!
Nutritional information: Serves 8. Serving size 1 slice.
Calories= 65, Total Fat= 5.8 grams, Protein= 0.1 grams, Net carbs = 3.3 grams