Keto Chocolate Haystacks
1 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup erythritol
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 Tablespoons unsweetened flake coconut
1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
3 Tablespoons Textured vegetable protein (Optional: may substitute with chopped nuts of choice or leave out of recipe)
1. Place coconut oil, erythritol, and cocoa in medium saucepan on medium heat.
2. Stir occasionally and heat until crystals have liquified (about 5 minutes) bringing to slow boil.
3. Remove from heat. (Be VERY careful as the boiling point of erythritol is low and can cause severe burns).
4. Mix salt, coconut flakes and shreds, and nuts in small bowl.
5. Add to melted coconut oil mixture and stir in well.
6. Transfer to molds of your choice or alternately in a pie tin lined with waxed paper or parchment paper.
7. Place in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
8. Once hardened, lift waxed paper containing the haystacks out of the pie tin and transfer to cutting board.
9. Cut into 1-2 inch squares. Makes about 20 squares approximately.
Serving size 1 square (20 grams)
Calories= 110, Fat= 12.1 grams, Protein= 0.6 grams, Net Carbs= 0.1 grams
If you love chocolate AND coconut, then you no doubt love chocolate haystacks. There are many variations of this usually high carb, sugar bombs, that are not suitable for the low carb lifestyle. Here is a very low carb version that tastes great. As made, the carbs are super low.
Do you like yours with more chocolate? Add more cocoa.
Not sweet enough or too sweet? Adjust the erythritol sweetener to add more or less to taste.
Do you like your haystacks with nuts or peanut butter? Add a few Tablespoons of nuts of your choice or 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter.
I like the crunchiness and very low carbs of Non-GMO, Textured Vegetable protein (TVP) or roasted soy nuts. If you have issues with soy, leave that out and use the nuts you like. This recipe tastes great without any nuts, but will be missing crunchy bits in the texture.( The soy does double duty for me in blunting menopausal symptoms). Check out our video on Libby's Low Carb Lounge!